EDR: Executive Dean for Research

Are you new to research at MSOM?

Hello and welcome to research at the Miller School of Medicine. Right now we may seem like a maze of acronyms to you, but a quick tour of this website will point out some of the resources available to you at the Miller School – and smooth your entry into research.

The Executive Dean for Research leads the Office of the Executive Dean for Research. All members of the EDR Office stand ready to assist you with your research. The organizational chart will help you get acquainted with us.

To set up a laboratory, contact EDR Operations. The Director of Research Support will provide important phone numbers, critical equipment requirements, and contacts throughout the university. When you need to expand and relocate your laboratory, you can find guidelines here.

Do you need some internal funding? Check out the Internal Awards that are available. There are pilot awards, bridge awards and other kinds of support available. Applications are on this site.

If you are ready to look for external funding, use SPINPlus or one of the other search tools.

To begin an IND or IDE study, contact the folks in the Clinical Research Operations and Regulatory Support (CRORS) office. Their services include consultation regarding IND/IDE requirements and risk based monitoring.

One of the first steps for all clinical trials is the IRB. You can find a link to that application here. And, as you complete the IRB application, there will be a question concerning the use of drugs, devices, clinics, commercial labs, etc. That question is tied to Velos, a database used to control clinical and research billing. Read the policy that defines the requirement for Velos enrollment here.

Are you ready to start your clinical trial? Contact the Clinical Translational Research Site (CTRS). The CTRS offers comfortable, easily accessible locations for investigators to conduct high-quality safe research involving human subjects.

If you need any information concerning graduate studies, follow the link to our OGS, that’s the Office of Graduate Studies (OGS).

Before you buy any expensive equipment or search for an external partner for any facets of your research, read through the extensive list of shared resources that are available on the Miller campus and at UM.

Research training requirements can be extensive. We are building a list on this site – but you may need more specific training for yourself or your staff.

There are many helpful links on the site, hopefully the explanations will help you decide where to go next.

The EDR Office is here to facilitate research. We want to help you find the next methods of prevention, treatments and cures. Use the staff directories or the website contact form to reach us. And may the next biomedical breakthrough on campus be yours.

E-mail a Friend