The UM-CTRS is staffed by professional research nurses who have experience and specific expertise in clinical research involving diverse study populations. The nursing staff provides research care for study participants while ensuring their safety and obtaining quality measures. We encourage research teams to collaborate with our nurse manager in advance to assist with the coordination and implementation of the research protocol. This will enhance the quality of work, streamline the application and implementation process and promote the necessary team effort required for the successful performance of team science.
The UM-CTRS offers the following nursing services:
- Vital signs, height and weight assessment
- Fasting blood glucose test
- Pulse oximetry
- Electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Medication administration (i.e., oral, intravenous, intramuscular, and subcutaneous)
- Pharmacokinetic studies (PK)
- Oral and IV glucose tolerance test (OGTT, IVGTT)
- Frequently sampled IV glucose test (FSIGT)
- Standardized meal tolerance test (MMT)
- Glomerular filtration rate test (GFR)
- Infusion studies
Nursing staff may be trained to provide other study specific assessments per protocol. Please contact the CTRS to discuss protocol assessments that are not listed above. Other services are available throughout campus. The UM-CTRS administrative staff can assist research teams with fostering collaborations for those services.